Thursday, December 3, 2009

Snowflake Bentley in Chicago













Every snowflake has an infinite beauty which is enhanced by knowledge that the investigator will, in all probability, never find another exactly like it.”

Snowflake Bentley, Popular Mechanics Magazine, 1922


I HAVE WRITTEN ABOUT SNOWFLAKE BENTLEY ON THIS BLOG IN THE PAST. The reason is that I have always loved what he did. Here was a man who devoted his life (1865 - 1931) to making photomicrographs of snowflakes. A simple obsession, a devoted life looking deeply into the beauty of the world. What could be more beautiful than that?

So why would I write about Snowflake Bentley again? Because this Friday, 20 original photographs by Mr. Bentley will go on sale at the Carl Hammer Gallery in Chicago. These beautiful photos are fresh from a private collection, and will be on exhibit at the gallery opening this Friday night, Dec. 4. I will not be able to be there, but I will be there in spirit. Snowflake Bentley, an American original, artist and lover of beauty.

If you would like to read the earlier post on Snowflake Bentley, just
click here.

3 comments:

Caio Fern said...

it is great to have discovered your blog !!

John Foster said...

Thanks so much Caio.

Zuzana said...

Lovely post.;) I got aware of your place through Elizabeth; she though I would find this interesting as I today posted about snowflakes myself.
Zuzana

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...